A decision on the application must be made within 4 weeks of receipt. The decision maker should:
- satisfy him or herself that the application conforms with the requirements of section 18, as set out above
- retrieve the relevant file and consider whether reasons were previously given and, if so, were they full and complete, when that decision or act was communicated originally to the person
- consult with the person who has dealt with the decision or act referred to in the request
- if satisfied that the reasons previously given, meet fully with the terms of section 18, these may form the basis of the response to the applicant. The notice should include full details of the applicant's rights under the FOI Act.
- if not satisfied that full information has been previously given, proceed to prepare a statement of reasons in accordance with section 18.