Members Area | Contact us

I’m not happy with a decision on my request – What can I do?

Requesters can appeal to the FOI body to re-examine their case.

The FOI body must have the request reviewed by someone more senior than the person who made the original decision. The reviewer can change or agree with the original decision.

If the requester is still unhappy with the decision, he or she has the right to appeal the decision to the Information Commissioner.

The Commissioner has been appointed specifically to hear appeals from members of the public who are not happy with decisions made on their requests. The appeal may be subject to an up-front fee (see FAQ Number 7 which details charges applicable for appeals).