A Model Publication Scheme published by the Minister for Expenditure and Reform commits public bodies to making information available to the general public as part of their normal business activities.
The ‘model publication scheme’ is based on the principal that all public bodies should publish as much information as possible in an open and accessible manner on a routine basis outside of FOI, having regard to the principles of openness, transparency and accountability as set out in the Freedom of Information Act. The ‘Model Publication Scheme’ allows for the publication or giving of records outside of FOI provided that such publication or giving of access is not prohibited by law.
Each public body’s own publication scheme should be easily located on its website and have information grouped under six specific standard headings to make information easier to locate.
The six standard headings are:
- Information About the FOI Body – who we are and what we do
- Services Provided or to be provided to the Public – The services we offer
- Decision Making process for major policy proposals – How we make decisions on policies
- Financial Information – What we spend
- Procurement – How we spend
- FOI Disclosure Log and Other Information to be Published Routinely